The server cabinet was moved to it’s new home over the weekend. Still to come is network upgrades and adding a UPS for the entire cabinet. Also looking to purchase an NXDN radio to improve the scanner feed reliability. Stay tuned!
Repairs to the repeater are 95% complete, I only have a few small finishing touches to wrap up, and it will be complete.
The receiver and exciter have been repaired and are working fine. The controller was replaced with a Raspberry Pi running app_rpt Dial distribution, and DMK Engineering URI interface. The new controller has many features a top of the line controller has (such as an SCOM 7330), but only costs $100 dollars, including the interface. Some of the features include:
- Voice ID
- Time Clock
- Remote Base Capable
I am waiting on internet to be established at the site, but may install the repeater before that. With an internet connection, I will have full control over the repeater from anywhere I have internet access. Also, remote programming is possible with this configuration. The programming can be remotely backed-up on a USB thumb stick, which will be programmed to run automatically periodically.
Stay tuned for further updates.
Well, thanks to my new radio, I thought something serious had gone wrong with the repeater. After getting home from work today and fixing supper, I loaded the truck with some tools/supplies and the kids and headed to the site. On the way down, reception of the repeater on the mobile was VERY poor, and the audio very VERY distorted. As I got closer, I noticed I was hearing it fine on the HT, but still poor on the mobile. About 2/3 of the way there I noticed an extra icon on the display of my new Alinco DR-235 that wasn’t there before. I finally remembered what it was…I somehow put the mobile into AM receive. After some random button pressed, I manged to get the radio back into FM mode, and the repeater sounded great like it normally does. Since I was within 5 minutes of the site by then, I went ahead and stopped in to see how it was doing.
The output of the Uniden amplifier had dropped a little more, it is now down to ~50 watts output instead of the original 110+. I need to find a source for some Polyfet F1004 and see about fixing it back up. Installed the rest of the intermod panel, and did some tests. Forward power after all the filtering is 35 watts, reflected at the feedline is less than 0.5 watts. Intermod panel is now complete, and includes a dual port isolator, followed by a low pass filter, band pass filter, then the 4 cavity pass/reject duplexers. I did a quick test for desense by transmitting a very weak signal over the air and disabling the transmitter, no noticeable difference in received signal.
All is well again!
Echolink and AllStar are back on-line on the 224.5800 repeater. While the computer was down for maintenance/repairs, I took the opportunity to swap out the link radios. My old ADI AR-247 is now the full time link radio. I also moved the link antenna to allow a better signal to/from the repeater. Check it out!
Echolink Node 297683 KD8BIW-R
AllStar Node 29912
As the heading says, the computer running Echolink and Alllstar went on vacation for a short bit. Never fear, it will be back up and running soon. Stay tuned here for updates!